17:32 10 March 2015
Reports that more dogs were poisoned at Crufts Show have been confirmed by the Kennel Club. The report came after Irish setter Jagger, who came second in his class, died after returning to Belgium from the event at Birmingham’s NEC.
A West Highland white terrier, an Afghan hound, and a Shih Tzu also fell sick after the show. A dog owner said that her Shetland sheepdog was poisoned the day after Jagger died.
She told the newspaper: "The setter was poisoned the day before my bitch, and I don't think there is a link between the two.
"I think that one (Jagger) was someone who had randomly targeted them because a lot of people don't agree with Crufts."
A spokesman for the Kennel Club said that they are looking into the reports.
The official said: "The facts surrounding Jagger's sad death are still being established.
"With regards to speculation about any other incidents involving other dogs, we must stress that these are at this stage just rumours.
"There are any number of reasons why a dog may display symptoms such as sickness and should a dog fall sick there are vets at Crufts who will examine the dog in question and file a report."
The Kennel Club added: "As with any international competition rumours of sabotage do occasionally surface. This of course is not in the spirit of competition and will not be tolerated.
"Anyone caught attempting to deliberately sabotage another competitor's performance, particularly if a dog's welfare is put at risk, will face severe disciplinary action, which could include a ban on competing at all Kennel Club licensed events.
"Furthermore anyone who puts a dog's welfare at risk could face prosecution under the Animal Welfare Act."