17:45 05 February 2015
2,000 UK adults were surveyed on the hardest and strangest interview questions they were asked during their job applications. While one candidate was asked “Was the book Frankenstein really about state control?” another one was puzzled with the question “How do you get a hippo out of a hole?”
Meanwhile, some respondents revealed that aside from being asked silly questions, they were also asked to sign or improvise a film with a potential colleague. One baffled job-seeker was told: "build a tower of paper cups in one minute that would not fall down when you put water in the top cup".
AAT spokeswoman Aimee Batemann said: "The prospect of being interrogated on our professional experience and ability is a naturally intimidating scenario and, as the results show, it's not always easy to keep composed.
"The range of random and sometimes unbelievable questions or tasks candidates have been subjected to shows sometimes you just can't predict what will be thrown at you.
"However, the best way to maintain composure and reduce the chances of embarrassment is to try to prepare for every possibility and be prepared to think on your feet if need be."
THE STRANGEST THINGS ASKED TO BRITS IN AN INTERVIEW
TOP 20 MOST-COMMON AWKWARD INTERVIEW EXPERIENCES
1. I didn't know what to say
2. I felt intimidated
3. I said something stupid
4. The interviewer seemed bored
5. I kept stuttering
6. The other person was really rude
7. I went really red
8. I didn't answer many of their questions
9. I was late
10. I knew nothing about the company
11. I started to sweat really badly
12. I had no knowledge on the job role
13. I got lost
14. The other person interviewing asked if I was thinking of having a child anytime soon
15. I kept mumbling
16. The person interviewing asked me if I was single or married
17. I was made to do an interview, Apprentice-style, with the other short-listed candidates
18. I had forgotten which role I was applying for
19. I had a hangover
20. I accidentally swore
THE 20 HARDEST QUESTIONS TO BE ASKED IN A JOB INTERVIEW
1. What are your weaknesses?
2. Describe yourself in three words
3. If you were a fruit or vegetable what would you be and why?
4. If you were a flavour of ice cream, what would you be and why?
5. What has been your greatest achievement?
6. What are your strengths?
7. Describe a time when you have failed
8. Why should we choose you for this role?
9. Why did you apply for this job?
10. How will you contribute to the team?
11. Describe a situation where you have gone above and beyond
12. Describe a project you have handled
13. What do you think the Chief Executive thinks of the company?
14. What attracted you to this company?
15. How would your friends describe you?
16. Describe a situation where you have had others follow your lead
17. Name a time where you have worked under pressure
18. What attributes do you have that will support you in this role?
19. Are you a competitive person?
20. What are you hoping to get out of life?